Global Arts Language Arts Culture Tradition Indigenous Communities

Slideshow

Monday, July 8, 2019

Cultural Bias Day one!!!

Wow! I have to say I was very organized but very nervous going into day 1, typical right? I was pleasantly surprised with how the class went today. The students were super engaged and seemed interested in the content and art projects Daniel and I will be engaging in this week! Our our projects will be to create a PSA video as well as a t-shirt that showcases all that we have learned from the week. Located below, as promised, is my PSA video that I made about Colorism.


What went well:
- After providing examples of the negative effects media can have on cultural and implicit bias, our students engaged in conversations that respected opposite view points and mentioned some of the key issues of each video. I think as the week goes on we will have no issue getting them to engage in conversation about our topic.
- Our silent icebreaker also gave the students a chance to loosen up and get to know each other even though it was slightly different than a typical icebreaker. I think this activity also gave them a visual representation of what implicit bias looks like.

What to consider for tomorrow:
- I thought the students did well answering questions when you asked them something very specific rather than a more broad question. This is a good observation for me because I know how to tailor my questions to help them engage in conversation/.
- We had a few key talkers in class today so taking the idea of making it a rule that someone different from each table has to talk may be a great idea going into the next few days of class.


Great job today everyone! I'm looking forward to the rest of the week :))

No comments: